Band parents – even those that have been around the block a few times – frequently ask a lot of questions about the judging aspects of the marching activity.
Many times these questions revolve around scoring:
- Why does that one group always seem to get higher scores than the other groups?
- That color guard DROPS A LOT – why does their band win?
- We won percussion but we lost music – how does that work?
- Why do the band members DANCE so much?
- Can little bands beat bigger ones?
We put together a great overview about how judging works in most competition environments. Realize that your festival or competition circuit might vary slightly in their judging makeup, however we put this together to help parents and boosters better understand what their kids are up to…